Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Wellness Retreat
Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve details:
Cederberg Mountains about 3.5 hrs drive from Cape Town
Best time to visit:
Any time as each season has its advantages.
Approximate per night rate :
So much to do at this resort especially when the flowers are blooming.
Rock Art & Heritage
130 ancient rock art sites and unique history
Canoeing at Bushmans Kloof
7,500 hectares of great outdoors to explore
Creative & Gourmet
Gourmet food at Bushmans Kloof
Goue Vallei Wine Cellars
Discover the secrets and treasures of The Cederberg
Nature & Wildlife
Enriching wilderness experiences
The Spa & Fitness
Nestled in the foothills of the Cederberg Mountains lies Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve and Wellness Retreat; an ecological oasis within a roughly hewn and magical land. Bushmans Kloof offers a distinctive wilderness experience among open plains and ancient sandstone formations. It is a place to reconnect with the natural world and feel the pulse of an extraordinary and ancient landscape.
As a Relais & Châteaux property, the lodge offers splendid luxury, generous hospitality and all modern amenities. The reserve, located just 270km from Cape Town, is predator and malaria free.
Bushmans Kloof has been consistently lauded for its outstanding dedication to the preservation of the 7500 hectare reserve; a sanctuary for many species of endangered flora and fauna.
A South African Natural Heritage Site, Bushmans Kloof is custodian of over 130 ancient Bushman rock art sites in the reserve and located in the Cape Floral Kingdom one of the South African UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
As custodians of over 130 Bushman rock art sites, Bushmans Kloof is recognised as a South African National Heritage Site, positioned within the Cape Floral Kingdom, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Bushmans Kloof is a Relais and Chateaux property, setting the highest standard in hospitality.
- Diners Club International Wine List of the Year Diamond Award five years running
- Among the Top 20 Leisure Hotels in Africa, Middle East and Indian Ocean in the Condé Nast Traveller Readers Awards 2012
- Awarded Virtuoso Sustainable Tourism Leadership Award 2012
- Graded Three Flutes in the Long Wine List category in South Africa’s Wine List of the Year Awards 2012
- TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2012
- Named Best for Food in the Condé Nast Traveller UK Gold List 2012
- Awarded Diamond Certification by Diners Club Winelist Awards 2011
- Named among South Africa’s finest spas in the 2011 Les Nouvelles Esthetiques Spa Awards
- Named one of the Best Hotels for Food in Africa, Middle East and the Indian Ocean in Condé Nast Traveller UK Gold
- Voted as One of the Best Places in the World to Stay in the Condé Nast Traveller UK Gold List for 2011
- Ranked 18th in the World’s Top 100, and 4th in the Middle East, Africa & Indian Ocean Islands category 2010 by Condè Nast Traveller UK magazine, UK Readers’ Travel Awards
- Voted No.1 in Africa and the Middle East and No.2 overall in the Travel + Leisure’s World’s Best Service Awards 2010
- Voted as No.1 World’s Best Hotel and No.1 Africa’s Best Hotel in Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels 2010, receiving a score of 98.67
- Named as one of the Best places to stay in the World in the 2010 Condé Nast Traveller UK Gold List, receiving an overall score of 88.8
- Named as one of the Top Three Hotels in Africa, Middle East and Indian Ocean for food in the Condé Nast Traveller UK 2010 Gold List
Bushmans Kloof is a multi award-winning lodge, owned by the family-run Red Carnation Hotel Collection. It consists of 16 luxurious guest rooms and suites, as well as Koro Lodge, a private, fully-catered villa close to the main lodge.
At the heart of Bushmans Kloof is the Homestead, providing guests with the opportunity to enjoy conversation on the terrace, a single malt whisky in the convivial bar or an evening dip in the heated pool. The restaurant offers world-class dining and fine wines from our award-winning cellar. Our two lounges invite fireside chats, after-dinner drinks, or a catch-up of current events on the flatscreen TV. Our well-stocked library and fitness centre are open to all.
The cottages and crystal pools punctuate exquisite botanical gardens, while rolling lawns provide a gentle transition between your elegant suite and the dramatic rocky landscape beyond.
Though the surroundings are therapy in themselves, the Spa is the focus of the natural healing energy of Bushmans Kloof. Book a treatment in this peaceful sanctuary during your stay to rejuvenate and replenish your spirit. The Sap is accessible to residents only and does not offer day spa visitor facilities.
Guests are also invited to visit our fascinating Heritage Centre, which features a permanent exhibition of the Rudner Collection of Bushman artifacts.
Our organic herb and vegetable garden supplies the kitchens with vibrantly fresh produce used to create our exquisite cuisine.
Nature walks and sunset drives allow guests to view over 200 bird and animal species, and to get up-close-and-personal with over 755 species of indigenous fynbos. Between July and October, thousands of spring flowers transform the veld into a vibrant palette of colours.
A successful programme of species re-introduction followed great efforts to rehabilitate the reserve. Continued conservation and preservation practices have seen truly triumphant results for the undertaking.
If you’re up for something active, Bushmans Kloof provides a wealth of recreational pursuits within the reserve, from hiking, mountain biking, and canoeing, to archery, fly-fishing and croquet. Guests can also take tours of the spellbinding ancient Bushman rock art on the reserve
Luxury Rooms all have private patios and en suite bathrooms. There is convenient access to one of the four crystalline swimming pools at the lodge. Luxury rooms overlook landscaped gardens, and the breathtaking beauty of the untamed yonder.