Vegan South Africa Safari
For those of you who may not know the Timbavati is an open fenced concession within the greater Kruger National Park that has the white lion, which is a rare color mutation of the lion.These lions are indigenous to the Timbavati.
The Vegan South Africa Safari traveler:
While the question that most vegan travelers to South Africa who want to do a vegan South Africa safari ask is what type of food will be served and is it possible to get any vegan food on a South Africa safari, there is a bigger question.
The bigger question is: Who is the modern day vegan traveler, and what do they want when they travel.
Answer: The vegan traveler is just like any other traveler, they want to experience this world. They may eat differently however like everyone else they want to experience the iconic, the rural, the culture, scenery, and the people of the country they are travelling in. The meal intake difference is that that they eat vegan/plant based food for their meals.
One of big upsides to being on vegan safari in South Africa is that the vegan eating lifestyle has taken hold quite strongly in South Africa, with dedicated vegan restaurants and vegan products widely available in shops and farmers/culinary food markets.
Vegan dessert found in a Cape Winelands winery
When you take the availability of vegan food and add it to the quality infrastructure of roads and air transports within South Africa, its not a problem for any safari lodge to obtain and offer vegan food for a vegan South Africa safari.
That is the answer to the question posed above.The possibility to eat vegan/plant based food on vegan south africa safari is very high to guaranteed.
Even outside the gates of Kruger National Park you have some towns where you can find various levels of vegan products available,
All this adds up to especially for South Africa that most safari lodges will be able to offer some level of vegan food while on a vegan South Africa safari.
Vegan South Africa safari tour tips:
1) No hotel or safari lodge should charge you extra for plant based based foods(If they do there are many other options and please let me know so I can educate the owners/mangers about how to attract customers)
While its true some lodges are more advanced in there meal presentation,even the the basic meal’s for a 2 Night stay will work for anyone.
2) As mentioned before with there being plenty of restaurants, farmers/culinary markets in the urban and in some in the rural areas, some of which are dedicated vegan markets, there is no lack of food options, and may i add no reason for any safari lodge to have an excuse for not offering to those wanting vegan food while on a vegan south africa safari.
3) No need for supplements while on safari due to “lack of protein” unless you are taking them all ready.
4)) If you wish to purchase vegan snacks you will find a wide variety of (delicious) local products in health food stores/bakeries/supermarkets
5) While on safari most safari vehicles have bottled water that is included as part of your stay as well as the am and pm tea break/snacks/evening sundowner.
5) When booking though a agent or a specialist like myself,ensure that they know what you are looking for and then its up to them to communicate this information and reconfirm before you arrive so there is no misunderstanding.
6) Upon arrival at your safari lodge/camp please check in with the manager or chef to confirm your pre reserved vegan meals. If for any reason your request has not been lodged, my experience is that the vast majority of South Africa safari lodges/camps will do whatever it takes to create vegan meals for the duration of your stay
7) Some vegans only drink vegan wine. If this is your preference please let me know. There is usually an extra cost for vegan wine.
Where to go on a vegan South Africa safari
The essence of custom designing a vegan South Africa safari is to ensure that your experience accommodates your vegan preferences, interests/lifestyle and time frame
The custom design process is to enable the whole trip to be within the budget, interests/lifestyle and time frame that the traveler has.
To give you an idea of the range of luxury to moderate safari camps/lodges that provide vegan meals, I have compiled a short list of luxury to moderate safari camps/lodges.Bear in mind that this is not a comprehensive list.
Kings Camp in the Timbavati has a dedicated vegan hospitality consultant. The food images on this page are credited to this lodge, with thanks.
Singita..Luxury lodges in the Sabi Sands
Nottens..family run smaller property in the Sabi Sands.
Chitwa Chitwa …located in the Sabi Sands.
Kwandwe in the Eastern Cape is a malaria free safari /lodge.
Phinda’s rock lodge,luxury boutique camps in Kwa Zulu.
As you can see participating in a vegan South Africa safari is quite easily done, and if you find a safari lodge that wants to charge you a surcharge for eating vegan send me the name of that lodge/camp.
I will talk to them and then help you find one that works for you.Money talks.
We custom design for singles, couples, families, group and incentive travel.
While there is a trend to (sell/market) vegan South Africa safaris as a group experience its not necessarily (for you) to travel with a large group. If you prefer your independence,we will custom design your trip.
The only trip we want to design for you is the one you want.
The link below will take you to our page where you will find other links to vegan pages in this site.
We design your Africa experience as you want it.