Vegan South Africa Safari
For those of you who may not know the Timbavati is an open fenced concession within the greater Kruger National Park that has the white lion, which is a rare color mutation of the lion.
These lions are indigenous to the Timbavati which has a number of lodges that offer vegan meals from bush lodges to moderate to Luxury lodges.
It is also the location where through your participation in you can help to save the Rhino from poachers by participating in a vegan Rhino Conservation program.
Motswari Giraffes nest sleep out
Ever wanted to sleep under the Africa skies
The Vegan South Africa Safari traveler:
In many cases most hotels/safari lodges or camps simply cater for the vegan traveler. Catering is a very impersonal service..one does the least to make it look like the most.
Accommodating the vegan traveler is a different thing…here the vegan traveler wishes or needs are treated just like any other traveler.
I have been following this life style for over 45 years so i know what’s it like to show up a remote lodge and they have not prepared what I requested.
This is what we shrive to achieve with our custom design vegan safari and tour services…that the vegan traveler is given the attention they deserve, whether you are in the city, the rural areas on a cultural tour and or on safari we will ensure the meals are taken care of.
Who is the modern day vegan traveler, and what do they want when they travel.
The vegan traveler is just like any other traveler, they want to experience this world. They may eat differently however like everyone else they want to experience the iconic, the rural, the culture, scenery, and the people of the country they are travelling in. The meal intake difference is that that they eat vegan/plant based food for their meals.
One of big upsides to being on vegan safari in South Africa is that the vegan eating lifestyle has taken hold in South Africa, with dedicated vegan restaurants, vegan products widely available in shops and farmers/culinary food markets.
So as an example of going on a vegan Safari in Africa or participating in a vegan tour of South Africa or really any country that you may visit, its the range of the many activities that is the difference for the vegan traveler.
Some vegans who travel to South Africa
- May want to do a few great white shark caged dives ( you don’t need to be scuba certified) others wont.
- Some may want to visit animal shelters, other wont.
- Some may want to visit wildlife rehabilitation centers, others wont.
- Some may want to have food preparation classes in the tour, others are not interested in this activity.
- Some vegan travelers don’t drink wine so they are not interested in the Cape Winelands, others only drink vegan wine (which we can accommodate on a Cape Winelands tour) and other vegan travelers will drink anything.
- Some vegan travelers may want to visit the rural village area, maybe take a guided walk down the wild coast eating basic vegan meals, others will stick to the urban centers where you have more food choices.
Game viewing while taking a bath Nottens Sabi Sands kruger National Park
What type of vegan food can you expect on a vegan Africa Safari
Vegan Africa Safari Food Images
Where to go on a vegan South Africa safari
For those that are into photography we can create a dedicated vegan photographic safari
Kwandwe in the Eastern Cape is a malaria free safari /lodge and another location where you can participate in a vegan Rhino Conservation program.
I have compiled a short list of luxury to moderate safari camps/lodges. Bear in mind that this is not a comprehensive list.
Kings Camp in the Timbavati has a dedicated vegan hospitality consultant. The food images on this page are credited to this lodge, with thanks.
Umlani sleep out deck
Umlani Game Lodge a african safari bush Camp in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve.
Candles light up the dinning area at Umlani that operates with 100% alternative energy sources (using only solar power with a standby generator) and uses 100% non-toxic and biodegradable cleaning products.
Umlani Game Lodge is an authentic camp is the ultimate experience of true wilderness and seclusion, accommodating only 16 guests in traditional African reed and thatch huts.
Motswari is a remote luxury camp that is limited to 30 guests.
At Motswari there are no spas or gyms. Its just the Africa bush in it most pristine state. Simple Luxury and awesome game viewing is what you will find at Motswari.
Singita Lebombo sleep out deck kruger national park south africa safari
Singita..Singita has a number of Luxury lodges in the Sabi Sands and Greater Kruger National Park
Chitwa Chitwa …Luxury lodge located in the Sabi Sands.
Phinda’s rock lodge, luxury boutique camps in Kwa Zulu.
Nottens..family run smaller property in the Sabi Sands.
While there is a trend to (sell/market) vegan South Africa safaris as a group experience its not necessarily (for you) to travel with a large group.
If you prefer your independence, we will custom design your trip, we custom design for singles, couples, families, group and incentive travel.
The link below will take you to our page where you will find other links to vegan pages in this site.
Vegan South Africa safari tour tips:
1) No hotel or safari lodge should charge you extra for plant based based foods(If they do there are many other options and please let me know so I can educate the owners/mangers about how to attract customers)
While its true some lodges are more advanced in there meal presentation, even the the basic meal’s for a 2 Night stay will work for anyone.
2) As mentioned before with there being plenty of restaurants, farmers/culinary markets in the urban and in some in the rural areas, some of which are dedicated vegan markets, there is no lack of food options, and may i add no reason for any safari lodge to have an excuse for not offering to those wanting vegan food while on a vegan South Africa safari.
3) No need for supplements while on safari due to “lack of protein” unless you are taking them all ready.
4)) If you wish to purchase vegan snacks you will find a wide variety of (delicious) local products in health food stores/bakeries/supermarkets
5) While on safari most safari vehicles have bottled water that is included as part of your stay as well as the am and pm tea break/snacks/evening sundowner.
5) When booking though a agent or a specialist like myself, ensure that they know what you are looking for and then its up to them to communicate this information and reconfirm before you arrive so there is no misunderstanding.
6) Upon arrival at your safari lodge/camp please check in with the manager or chef to confirm your pre reserved vegan meals. If for any reason your request has not been lodged, my experience is that the vast majority of South Africa safari lodges/camps will do whatever it takes to create vegan meals for the duration of your stay
7) Some vegans only drink vegan wine. If this is your preference please let me know. There is usually an extra cost for vegan wine.
Contact us: Africa Safari and South Africa Tour Contact form
Call Us: Call us at 541-482-6050
We design your Africa experience as you want it.